Re: Magit

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: Magit
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 15:33:16 +1200

On 2022-09-07 14:19, Richard Stallman wrote:
> As is the default for NonGNU ELPA, the Magit repository is automatically
  > synchronised and mirrored.  Whenever the version tag in the package
  > header is bumped, a new version is released.

That's normally a good way -- but then I wonder, how was it that a
user found a significant difference between the behavior of the Magit
in NonGNU ELPA and the one on another repo?

That user would most likely have installed Magit from the MELPA
archive, which tracks the unstable development of every package
-- each time MELPA sees a change to a source repository, it builds
a new release of that package.

GNU ELPA and NonGNU ELPA, conversely, provide new releases only
when they observe that the package maintainer updated the version
string -- commits made between those version updates do not result
in a new release.

(Which of these two approaches provides the "best" version of
any given package at any given time might vary, of course.)

-Phil