Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 11:39:04 +0000

Well, actually instead of 16, since all the colours come in a normal and a bright version.

Are these "bright" versions used by Emacs?  I don't think so.

But these 256 colours will be getting used, and that means work configuring faces that are not satisfactory to the user in the 256 colour version.

What do you mean? It's not more necessary to configure faces in a terminal than to configure faces under X. If you don't like the defaults, you can configure them, that's all.

Here's the rub. The "pixelated" fonts were designed to be used in, say, an 8x16 matrix, and work very well indeed. The "modern" fonts were designed to be used in X, and work less well in fbterm on a pixelated grid.

Not if you use monospaced fonts, which were designed to be used in terminals.

All of the "modern" fonts available for fbterm on my machine are "spidery" single pixel thick fonts. On the lat1-16 font I've been using in consoles for decades, the lines are two pixels thick. I find this much more readable.

Well, install another font?  I'd recommend DejaVu Sans Mono.

There are several. As mentioned above, you have to configure faces, possibly a lot of them.

That's incorrect. You don't have to configure any faces, they come preconfigured, just like they are preconfigured under X and for a raw Linux console.

There are all the problems with fonts. You've got to remember to hack the fbterm binary each time a new version of fbterm comes out (unless you've got a system like Gentoo, and arrange for this to happen automatically).

If you follow the instructions in the FAQ entry, you won't have to remember any such hacks.

I will probably continue using the plain Linux console, for all these reasons.

You are of course free to do what you want, but you should not discourage others to try it.