Re: [NonGNU] New packages: avy-menu, flyspell-correct and friends

From: Jai Flack
Subject: Re: [NonGNU] New packages: avy-menu, flyspell-correct and friends
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 12:55:25 +0000

>>  - flyspell-correct-avy-menu
>>  - flyspell-correct-helm
>>  - flyspell-correct-ido
>>  - flyspell-correct-ivy
>>  - flyspell-correct-popup
>>
>>    These implement a simple `flyspell-correct-interface' for the given
>>    package postfix.
>
> I think this goes back to the same question:
>
>     Could you perhaps briefly explain what these packages do?
>     Why the need for special helm, ido, ivy packages instead of using
>     completing-read?

The package does offer a completing-read interface in
flyspell-correct.el as a default.

The -helm and -ivy packages use the completion interface's extra
features to select the extra options ("Save", "Accept (session)",
"Accept (buffer)", "Skip", et. al.). For example to save the word with
the Ivy interface one can start the correction then press M-o s (the
equivalent on Helm is C-o RET).

The -ido interface additionally lets a user select replacements by
entering the corresponding number, similar to the M-x ispell interface.

I briefly described the -avy-menu interface in my last post.

-popup uses a little popup at point to select actions (with the popup
package already in NonGNU).

> -- Stefan

If you decide some of these extra interfaces are superfluous, I think
there is still benefit from having the base flyspell-correct package in
NonGNU.

--
Thanks,
Jai