Re: copyright assignment

From: Guy Gastineau
Subject: Re: copyright assignment
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 14:56:01 -0500

Thank you, Eli.

I added a config example to the emacs wiki the other day too.  Do I need to include that wiki page in the last field?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 1:38 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Guy Gastineau <strings.stringsandstrings@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 11:15:01 -0500
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html tells me to
> inquire here about the copyright assignment.
>
> I am a little confused.  It says we need to do it each time we submit work.  I assume this means, once we
> cumulatively reach >=15 lines of sloc we then retroactively give our copyright assignment to the work, but
> then we need to reassign the copyright holding to fsf for future contribution?

Yes.  But this is a one-time procedure, there's no need to assign the
copyright each time you submit a contribution.

> I have started putting my pgp key on some keyservers.  Can I send it to a gnu or fsf specific keyserver?
> Should I just export it and send that to you all here in the mailing list?
> I assume then I just need to sign a text document saying whatever legal magic we need with said pgp key
> and send it here?

There's no need to do anything with PGP up front.  You fill the form,
which I attach below, and email it according to instructions.  In
response, you will receive an email telling you how to proceed.

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]