Re: master 1555453694: Implement `alpha-background' on non-Cairo builds

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: master 1555453694: Implement `alpha-background' on non-Cairo builds
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 14:19:26 +0100

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:11:37 +0800 Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jose A Ortega Ruiz <jao@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> however, alpha-background doesn't work well in exwm (while alpha does;
>> alpha-background tints the background of the window but doesn't show
>> the underlying desktop wallpaper). that might well be a problem in exwm
>> rather than on emacs's side, though.
>
> It will only work on a composited display.  You could try running
> compton (or some other lightweight compositing manager that doesn't come
> with its own window manager) under exwm, and see if that works.

I just tried alpha-background and noticed a couple of seeming
inconsistencies: the text area displays the set amount of opacity
regardless of whether the frame is in focus or not, but while the tool
bar remains completely opaque in both case, the menu bar is completely
opaque when the frame is not in focus but completely transparent
(regardless of the setting of alpha-background) when the frame is in
focus (see attached images).  Are these differences expected?

This is on
GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo
version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-01-31 built on strobelfs2
Repository revision: 790ad61fcf91c75811ed30d21518e1dac99be044
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Linux From Scratch r11.0-115

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Steve Berman