Re: Display scaling?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Display scaling?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 14:42:23 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Sorry, I don't have the references handy.  You'll need to search the
> archives for HiDpi+fringe+bitmap, perhaps.

Thanks.

> You mean, if you scale up enough, you actually see the pixels as small
> squares?

Yes, indeed.  People say that looks better than a tiny unreadable
fringe, which is why I think such a temporary solution would be an
improvement until we can find a good solution for completely supporting
multiple scales.

> My point wasn't about the scale value itself, it was about the number
> of scale values we want to support.  If it is a small number of
> discrete values, we could prepare bitmaps for each of the supported
> values, but if the number is practically infinite, we cannot use such
> a solution.
>
> That's exactly the issue that may need to be resolved, yes.  If indeed
> we want to support a large number of scales.

Thanks, I'll look into that as well; maybe it would be acceptable to use
SVG to render the fringes after all, since judging by recent bug reports
most users already have librsvg installed.