Re: Display scaling?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Display scaling?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:50:21 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:36:35 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > But bitmap images don't scale well, they look ugly (pixelated) after
> > scaling.
>
> We could introduce higher-resolution (and perhaps even colourful) fringe
> bitmaps after the scaling feature is finished, but I think the priority
> right now is to make the fringes at least comfortably visible on such
> monitors.

>From past discussions, the initial solution you propose will be
considered as bug by users.

In the past we discussed only 2 resolutions, in which case providing
another set of fringe bitmaps sounds plausible.  But you seem to be
talking about supporting any arbitrary scale, not just the double one
of HiDpi displays, and that calls for a different implementation that
we should IMO think over up front.