speedbar and dframe

From: Michael Leibow
Subject: speedbar and dframe
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:22:03 -0500

I haven't seen any development on speedbar and dframe in many years.

Is this deprecated? Should I just use dired?

It appears that speedbar attaches to one frame at a time. This is
cumbersome when working with a large number of files in multiple
directories and multiple frames. I have to constantly close and reopen
speedbar in the current frame. I currently do this with a keyboard
macro assigned to a function key.

Please reply with recommendations:

* Should I add a timer? If speedbar's attached frame is not the
  current frame then close the speedbar frame and reopen it.

* I don't know how to do the above with a hook since the focus-in-hook
  is called recursively if a frame is deleted, and also because the
  focus-in-hook is not called when switching frames using the keyboard
  'C-x 5 o

* change speedbar and dframe to use an alist of associated frames and
  attached frames?

    --Moof