Re: Sv: Sv: Sv: Support for background transparency

From: Håkon Flatval
Subject: Re: Sv: Sv: Sv: Support for background transparency
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:53:07 +0100

> Could you please elaborate as to which artifacts you refer to?

When I remove the "#if defined (USE_GTK) && defined (USE_CAIRO)"
preprocessor statement in src/xfns.c and then configure with
--without-cairo, I see some visual artifacts in the result. For
instance, when marking text, the marked region becomes transparent
(without even having set the alpha-background parameter yet).

If I instead configure with --with-x-toolkit=lucid, Emacs outright
crashes on startup with the message
"X protocol error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) on protocol request
70".

I get no such error on these two build configurations when the
preprocessor statement is in place.

I tested this using i3 wm on Gentoo.

In time I would like to see background transparency supported for other
configurations as well, but leaving the preprocessor statements in seems
like the easiest way to avoid havoc.