Re: master 2c79a8f 2/2: Use posix_spawn if possible.

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: master 2c79a8f 2/2: Use posix_spawn if possible.
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:46:41 +0100

Like Saulius says, this is fairly technical and far above at least my head.

I still think it's worth discussing if we *need* this change for Linux. When the original commit was landed, (from what I can tell) it was because it was needed for Mac, and assumed harmless for other platforms. The merge to master was then meant as a testing-ground to see if it would cause issues.

And well.. Here's at least one issue :)

For perspective, over the last couple of years, Emacs as a editor/platform to work with .NET has improved tremendously to the point that Emacs is my primary editor for anything .NET. It would be a shame to see that completely break on Emacs 29, and being forced to use VSCode to get work done.

As things stand now, I think it sounds easier to revert this change (for Linux only) than trying to convince Microsoft to change the .NET runtime to better interop with Emacs on Linux :)

My 2 cents.

--
Kind regards
Jostein Kjønigsen