Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak thro

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak through Emacs, or can Emacs detect it?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 23:37:59 -0500

  > > Emoji show up on my terminal as diamonds, since it can't display them.
  > > So do the ligatures.  Ideally we could display the ligatures as two
  > > letters.

  > The way to tell the display engine (any display engine, not just that
  > of Emacs) not to ligate is to have the ZWNJ character between the
  > characters that we don't want ligated.  That's one of the legitimate
  > uses of that zero-width character.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing.  You're talking
about a way of modifying a particular document saying, "Don't display
a ligature right here."

I'm asking about a feature whereby a user can direct Emacs not to use
ligatures in display on a certain terminal.  The idea is, when using a
terminal that can't display ligatures, Emacs should always display
multiple letters instead of a ligature.

  > > Perhaps we should convert ligatures on file input-in into digraphs,
  > > and convert digraphs on file output into ligatures when using some
  > > coding system.

  > People nowadays _do_ want to see ligatures, so disabling them by
  > default would be a step back.

People may be glad to see ligatures, on terminals that can display
ligatures.  I am talking about terminals which can't display
ligatures.

I doubt any user wants to see a diamond instead of `fi'.