Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak thro

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak through Emacs, or can Emacs detect it?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:13:30 -0500

  > Users and readers of certain scripts cannot use such a simplistic
  > solution, which is basically only suitable for plain ASCII text.

I am no expert on this issue, but I do edit languages such as French
and Spanish which use non-ASCII characters.  It seems to work fine.  I
never insert zero-width characters, at least not knowingly.  Would
they be inserted without my knowing?

If not, I think that some non-ASCII text works fine.

  >   (And
  > even there it is slowly becoming inappropriate, what with the growing
  > popularity of ligatures, let alone Emoji.)

Emoji show up on my terminal as diamonds, since it can't display them.
So do the ligatures.  Ideally we could display the ligatures as two
letters.

                                               Emacs should be able to do
  > better.

It would be very nice to do better,  What would we do?

Perhaps we should convert ligatures on file input-in into digraphs,
and convert digraphs on file output into ligatures when using some
coding system.