Re: [External] : Emacs pretest 28.0.91 is out

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Emacs pretest 28.0.91 is out
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:08:38 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: corwin@bru.st,  luangruo@yahoo.com,  stefan@marxist.se,
>   drew.adams@oracle.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:15:33 +0100
>
> I wanted to know if it makes sense (and is possible) to natively compile
> all *.elc files for Windows? :-)

It's possible, yes -- as long as you are talking about the *.elc files
that come with Emacs.  The 3rd-party packages people might install are
not under your control anyway, so "total" compilation doesn't
necessarily make sense.  E.g., if J.R. Hacker never uses the package
foo.el that is part of the Emacs source distribution, having the
foo-*.eln file in the binary distribution will not help him.

If you want to compile all the bundled *.el files, you should set
NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1 in the environment or on the Make command line.

My opinion is that we should first offer the MS-Windows users a build
made using the "normal" procedure, and that means natively-compiling
only the preloaded files.  Only if we discover some good reasons to
offer a full AOT compilation should we do that (and maybe then not
only on Windows).

But it's your call.

> > If libgccjit is not available, Emacs should use the *.elc files.
>
> I thought this. I'm also wondering how much the additional .eln files
> will enlarge the Emacs distribution..

An average .eln file is around 300KB, so it's quite a lot.  E.g., my
eln-cache directory for the 28.0.91 pretest, which includes only those
packages that I used since the session started 3 days ago, has 148
files that weigh in at about 48MB.