Re: [External] : Emacs pretest 28.0.91 is out

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: [External] : Emacs pretest 28.0.91 is out
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 22:07:41 -0600

Hi again!

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 3:43 PM H. Dieter Wilhelm
<dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:

> Hi Corwin
>
> Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:
>
> > I (and others) have volunteered to attempt to come up to speed with
> > this.  I'm attempting to make dist on windows now but I'm very, very
> > novice.   I'm optimistic one of us will get there, however.   I'll
> > share a link to my build artifacts if I do manage to create some.

I've placed my very first successfully built redistributables for
windows into a repo on sourcehut.  I'd be grateful for any reports of
trouble, suggestions, or confirmation these work for others.

browse the tree:  https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-w64/tree
clone the repo: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-w64

Please note that this build does **not** enable native-compilation nor
does it include gccjit (in deps).  I'm working on the assumption that
the Phillip's build scripts should be enhanced so we can build (and
distribute) windows binaries both with and without native compilation
enabled.

> That'd be nice.  I'm able to build Emacs with MinGW2 for myself but I
> still don't grok the package building procedure from Phillip Lord.  Did
> you find some time to have a look?

I don't have great notes on what I've done but here are a couple notes:

- I ended up creating ~/emacs-build and ~/emacs-upload rather than
messing with the scripts.
- I had to run build-zips and build-deps many, many times
- each failure required finding and install a missing msys package
then trying again
  # pacman -Ss <partial-name>
  # pacman -S <full_x86_64_name>
- this lead me to install sed via:
  # pacman -S mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-sed-HMM
- once I installed that version of sed Emacs' configure stopped working
- I "fixed" that by
  # mv /mingw64/bin/sed /mingw64/bin/sed
  # cp /usr/bin/sed /mingw64/bin

Also (as I think you know):
- build-dep-zips.py still has incorrect paths for MINGW sources:

# diff
/c/Users/corwi/emacs-build/git/emacs-28/admin/nt/dist-build/build-dep-zips.py
/d/projects/emacs-28/admin/nt/dist-build/build-dep-zips.py
124,125c124,125
< #SRC_REPO="https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/Sources";
< SRC_REPO="https://repo.msys2.org/mingw/sources";
---
> SRC_REPO="https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/Sources";

170c170
<             "wget -a ../download.log -O ../emacs-src-cache/{} {}/{}"
---