Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 09:58:17 +0100 (CET)

Jan 12, 2022, 07:55 by rms@gnu.org:

>  > It wasn't a mistake; it was done deliberately.
>  > You don't like it; that doesn't make it a mistake.
>
> We made the decision to change Transient-Mark mode after much thought.
> One can argue that it was a bad decision (though users generally
> accepted it), but it was not an instance of carelessness.
>
> --
> Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
> Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
> Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

I don't know the history of it but I'm glad reason has won.  Personally
not liking nor using such features is totally fine, hell if I show what
I do with the computer it would be understandable if someone wants to set
it on fire immediately.  Arguing it was a bad decision and wanting casual
users to not use t-m-m though IMO would be in the same vein as "visual
editing is a mistake, we should all use Ed" or "human-computer interaction
is no research for real men."