Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:09:00 +0800

> And we do know that it would be the case that
> you would be able to keep the current behavior
> just by setting `custom-file' to your init file.
> You can do that today.  Try it, or look at the
> code for _function_ `custom-file', to see.

Then that's not the current behaviour, which is to use the init file if
custom-file is nil.

> None of that follows.  It's not because Emacs
> makes a rare flip of default behavior, with a
> trivial way to get the pre-change behavior,
> that Emacs is obliged to flip default behavior
> all over the place.  Let's not be alarmist.

That's a wager too, and I wager that is precisely what will happen.

> Huh?

I meant to say that the present is more important to worry about than
the future, and I stand by that statement.

> Other diehard anti-transient-moders no doubt stick
> to their guns.  That's their right, and they can
> do so just by turning that mode off.  Thankfully.
> End of story.

Too much work.  Anyway, the decision to turn transient-mark-mode on by
default was already made, while this has not.

Let's not turn it into a repeat of that, especially when the gain is
not likely to be remotely as visible as transient-mark-mode.