Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:01:07 +0100 (CET)

Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg00794.html
> At the end of the day, this seems like a non-problem driven by a
> belief/ideology that mixing user and auto-generated code is so wrong it
> has to be eliminated. If there was evidence of significant adverse
> impact to users due to this practice, change would be warranted.
> However, as it now stands, I cannot see how such change can be
> justified.

All arguments against Drew's proposals so far converge at "it is better
to do nothing."  Why not propose something even better?  Throwing "where
is your evidence?" around is easy, but one must consider we are far from
the domain of scientific method here, or of law.  Is existence of people
on Emacs related forums suggesting setting custom-file to /dev/null as a
good solution evidence enough?  How about split of early-init/creation
of straight.el?  What you call "belief/ideology" is known as intuition,
and it is the primary force behind any successful software.  Or any
kind of invention, really.  If only concern is the cost of change, why
not produce arguments for how to reduce that cost or to find a way
forward?