Re: master b5393c6 2/3: Silence undefined function warnings in eieio-tes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master b5393c6 2/3: Silence undefined function warnings in eieio-tests.el
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 22:38:57 -0500

> What I know is that I cannot run helm and other packages because in
> latest development version I am getting:
>
> byte-code: Symbol’s function definition is void: eieio--defgeneric-init-form

The etc/NEWS explains that:

    ** Support for old EIEIO functions is not autoloaded any more.
    You need an explicit (require 'eieio-compat) to use 'defmethod'
    and 'defgeneric' (which have been made obsolete in Emacs-25 with
    'cl-defmethod' and 'cl-defgeneric').
    Similarly you might need to (require 'eieio-compat) before loading
    files that were compiled with an old EIEIO (Emacs<25).

The better fix is probably to recompile those packages with an Emacs≥25.

        Stefan