Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'di

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'display-comint-buffer-action'
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 11:36:07 +0100

> So in addition to
>
>    (pop-to-buffer "*shell*" '(nil . ((label . *shell*))))
>
> it will also allow
>
>    (pop-to-buffer "*shell*" nil nil '*shell*)
>
> and
>
>    (pop-to-buffer-same-window "*shell*" nil '*shell*)
>
> ?

Yes.  Looks neither pretty nor intuitive.

Note that a 'pop-to-buffer' call can add an arbitrary element like a
label to the action alist and 'display-buffer-alist' can, via a
function, interpret that label in any which way.  So we do not have to
add anything new to make such things work.  The important aspects are
rather discoverability and ease of documentation.

> For consistency with 'pop-to-buffer-same-window', shouldn't then
> new 'display-comint-buffer-action' have a similar function:
>
>    (defun pop-to-comint-buffer (buffer &optional norecord)
>      (pop-to-buffer buffer display-comint-buffer-action norecord))

We could do that.  But let's fix the customization type of
'display-comint-buffer-action' first.

martin