Re: Incorrect font weight selected

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: Incorrect font weight selected
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 22:15:04 -0700

Hello Eli, Yuri,

On Wed 05 Jan 2022 at 07:08PM +01, Yuri D'Elia wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I believe you.  But the problem is that there are so many different
>> use patterns with fonts and faces that it is impossible to test all
>> the consequences in such a short time, certainly by a single
>> individual.
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> Then maybe I didn't realize what problem are you trying to solve.
>> Does the problem happen only with new frames?  At least Sean Whitton
>> said in this thread that his problems caused by 1b2511f are not with
>> new frames, AFAIU.

Well, my code which sets the font is in after-focus-change-function and
also in window-size-change-functions, and I could avoid the problem, in
a sense, by replacing that code with just customising the default face.

> Before guessing too much, can we get some comments from Sean and
> Dmitry?  Any change either can comment on the patch and/or behavior?

Thank you for working on this.  I dropped my local revert of 1b2511f and
applied your patch, but unfortunately the problem then reoccurs.

Happy to do more testing etc. -- let me know.

>> I don't think this would be correct, since frames are supposed to be
>> independent wrt faces.
>
> MMh, yes, and no? I definitely understand this reasoning, and we need to
> support that no questions here. But purely as as user, when I'm editing
> with multiple frames and I change the default font I certainly want all
> old and new frames to change as a result, which is why we have this odd
> dance. Maybe the user interface to do that is odd. I totally agree that
> looking at the big picture, it's... a mess. I wrote some toughs on how
> this plays with themes and customize in "custom-theme-set-faces/face
> inheritance and delayed face initialization".

In my case I have the code in window-size-change-functions precisely
because I want some frames of a particular size to use a different font.

--
Sean Whitton