Re: info-lookup-alist mangled, breaks C-h S

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: info-lookup-alist mangled, breaks C-h S
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 21:02:05 +0100

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> tried that already -- leads down various twisty ratholes since too many
> things in emacs core itself touch that variable, and some of that code
> was beyond my abilities, eg see the code in tramp-integration.el
>
> -- that one appears to be an earlier offendor with respect to adding an
> invalid entry.

FWIW, the problematic entry doesn't seem to come from some external
package, at least I can reproduce the error using

  1. emacs -Q
  2. M-x fundamental-mode RET in *stratch*
  3. C-h S

with GNU Emacs 29.0.50 of 2022-01-03.  The step 2 above is needed
because `C-h S' in an emacs-lisp-mode or lisp-interaction-mode buffer
works just fine whereas I get the error in fundamental-mode or
Info-mode.  I can't reproduce with emacs 27 or 28.

I'd suggest you do M-x report-emacs-bug.

Bye,
Tassilo