Re: Duplicated outline-cycle binding, and problems with the new one

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Duplicated outline-cycle binding, and problems with the new one
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 20:25:43 +0200

> Which presumably are applied as keymap text properties to headings in
> a buffer.  I’m having problems with this: some text that are not
> headings in my buffer are incorrectly propertied with this keymap, and
> when I try to indent with TAB, outline-cycle is invoked.

This looks like a bug, maybe you have a wrong outline-regexp.

> Overall, from my limited knowledge, I think the old approach is more
> reliable: I wouldn’t have this problem with the old approach.  And the
> new functionality added by the new approach and
> outline-minor-mode-cycle-filter can be easily implemented in the old
> approach.  We don’t need to fiddle with font-lock-keywords with the
> old approach, either.  How about we go back to the old approach?

Some time ago we discussed this possibility, but it will require writing
too many wrappers for different modes, for example, for diff-mode:

  (defvar-keymap diff-mode-shared-map
    "TAB" (lambda () (interactive)
            (if (and outline-minor-mode (outline-on-heading-p))
                (outline-cycle)
              (diff-hunk-next)))