Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:27:37 -0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> - Development velocity is glacial. With releases around once per year
> and there being no easily accessible distribution mechanism for
> development updates,

Our core packages can be released straight from master to GNU ELPA
within 24 hours.  All you need to do, once it is set up (which in itself
is trivial), is to bump the version header.  This is already the case
with for example flymake.el and python.el.

So while I agree that it would be good if Emacs could release major
versions more often (we currently release every two years, AFAICT),
I don't think this stops packages developed directly on master from
following a much more frequent release schedule.