Re: sqlite3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:18:56 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:41:34 +0100
>
> >> Yes, that would explain what we're seeing.  Is there any chance the w32
> >> stat emulation could be fixed to support sub-second resolutions like it
> >> does on other systems?
> >
> > It could, but it's not a trivial job, and doing it just for this use
> > case could be overkill.
>
> Well, it wouldn't be just for this.  Sub-second file resolution is
> generally useful.

OK, I'll add that to my todo, for some rainy day.

> But I'm not very enthusiastic about having a synchronised multisession
> variable access reading and parsing a file each time, so I'm leaning
> towards just keeping the code as is and adjusting the test on Windows
> (and other systems that don't have sub-second resolution).  Synchronised
> multisession variables offer no guarantees -- having two Emacsen
> updating the variable at the same time is inherently racy, and we're
> doing a best effort kind of thing.
>
> So this will be slightly less spiffy on Windows, and that's fine.

That'd be fine by me, I think updating the same value simultaneously
from several Emacsen is a pretty corner use case anyway.  We can delay
the solution until someone really needs that, and explains why.  We do
need to say something about the races in the docs, I think.