Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:36:28 +0800

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> But there *is* value in dropping unused ports: the trimming of the
> #ifdefs forest, as well as less work for regular contributors to keep
> code compiling under various conditions.

I took care to keep the ifdefs down to a minimum when developing the
Haiku port.  I would consider it being referred to as an "ifdef forest"
to be an insult.

IME, image.c and xterm.c are the only places where an "ifdef forest"
related to toolkits and window systems really exists.  With image.c,
someone just has to put the work required to clean it up, there need not
be any changes elsewhere.

With xterm.c, 90% of the problem is GTK.  Other toolkits and the
no-toolkit build don't really contribute to the "maze of ifdefs" effect.