Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 15:20:54 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:09:02 +0100
>
> A closer look at Skia makes me think that it is not a good candidate for
> Emacs, for several reasons. But Skia was just an example, we (or, better
> said, the OP) can examine what other options are available.

Yes, examples are being thrown here and there without any relevance,
just to make a point in a dispute, it seems.  It doesn't help to have
a useful discussion.

> > Please explain in detail what the new graphical capabilities are, and
> > how using a different graphics library will help.
>
> We could turn the frame into a canvas. Take
> display-fill-column-indicator for instance. Instead of faking a line
> with characters, we could simply draw the line as a graphic object.

If you think this kind of enhancement could materialize just by
changing the *term backends of the Emacs display, you don't have a
clear idea about the relevant architecture aspects of that.  It is
nigh impossible to do something like that without the knowledge of
xdisp.c and dispnew.c.  I'm telling you that as the single person
around here who has any kind of practical experience in implementing
something like that: the TTY menus do something very similar, and that
code gets away by the skin of its teeth, and would be probably simply
impossible with GUI display.

Throwing around such ideas without any real knowledge is simply
irresponsible.  Someone might believe you and spend some non-trivial
time trying to implement that.