Re: Development Speed

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 00:16:02 -0500

  >  It is only something someone
  > who's spent years on maintaining Emacs can know.  And there are
  > some things not written at all, for example RMS in this subject
  > mentioned a significant issue on some old hardware support.

If there are places in the Emacs sources for which it is important
to know this, I think the information that is crucial to tell people
would be why certain specific things should not be changed.

But what would those things?  Probably not small things in C code.
The versions of GNU/Linux we run on these machines are not old.  New
versions continue to support them.  They will get newer GCC versions
just as other GNU/Linux users do.

What these machines won't get is any faster.

Thus, the thing we need to remember is, "Don't assume that the
computer is as fast as a 2012 laptop, let alone as fast as a 2022
laptop."