Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 03:01:10 +0200

Hi Andrea,

On 20.12.2021 11:29, Andrea Corallo wrote:

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

When I said "by popular demand", I meant that.  Just your own voice is
not enough, IMO.

I have now reviewed this thread, and changing the default from nil to
silent has the support from Robert Pluim, Stefan Kangas, Lars
Ingebrigtsen, Andrea Corallo and Óscar Fuentes (5).

For keeping the current default I count Eli Zaretskii (1).

Neutral in this thread are T.V. Raman and Stefan Monnier (2).

FWIW please count me on the neutral side, I've no formed opinion on this
ATM even if the more time is passing the more I tend to think that the
current default might be safer and/or beneficial on the long run.

This might be a distracting aside, but could you comment on the idea that I think Stefan mentioned previously: that the native compiler could use not the original source files, but the byte-compiled *.elc files as the "source". By the time those are compiled, all the dependencies are resolved one way or another, right? So the user won't need to suffer the same kind of warnings again.

Do they contain the necessary information to do native-compile, and its various optimizations? If yes, are there any other difficulties associated with such an approach?