Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:51:45 -0500

On 12/18/2021 11:58 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:
Right, which is why distros might well choose to disable warnings.  My
point is that it's their decision, given that they've already decided
to build with native compilation, not something that Emacs has to
worry about.

IIUC you are saying "that's what they deserve for using native-comp".

No, that's not what I meant, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I like native-comp, I use it myself, and at some point I expect to release a version of emacs for the Cygwin distribution with native-comp enabled. What I tried to say is that if maintainers choose to enable a build configuration that is not enabled by default, they should be aware of the consequences and should deal with those consequences as they see fit.

Well, building with native-comp enabled is a build configuration
supported by Emacs, changing the default value of
native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors requires patching Emacs or
providing a "vendor" configuration file
Those are changes at a very different level.

Agreed.  And I don't see a problem with making changes at that level.

Ken