Re: Development Speed

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:36:21 +0100 (CET)

Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02200.html
From: Eli Zaretskii
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:37:50 +0200

> I don't think I understand what you are getting at.  The issue you
> raised was why we don't use C11, so my question to you is what is it
> in C11 that is not in C99 that you would miss in a program like Emacs?

C99 of course cause much less stress than ANSI. (Unless one knows the
difference of pitfalls between C99 and C11 standards then it is smooth
sailing.)

Isn't a new compiler compiling old standard more likely to cause
non-compliant behavior, than the one it is developed for? (Assuming
implementation has achieved maturity.)

Then there is VLAs, won't using C99 result in the worse optimization?

We would need to know how many UB related bugs are hiding in
entirety of Emacs for me to make any real case anyway.

Maybe the historical and current reasoning regarding to the choice of
"-std=" with their pro/contra exist in a series of comments, or somewhere
else, then I (or any other n00b) can refer that instead of bothering you
with these.  Thanks for indulging my curiosity so far.