Re: Development Speed

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 09:16:25 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Shouldn't there exist a set of functions that exit for GUI, a set that
> exist for TUI, and as their intersection a set of interface-agnostic
> functions?  Things you mentioned mostly live in the intersection
> anyway.

Those functions generally start with `x-', and the names of the various
window systems for the features specific to them.

> If a system has internet connection and is able to run the latest Emacs,
> shouldn't it be able to get a reasonably recent GCC?  Asking for my own
> education, feel free to pass...

No.  Building a new version of GCC on a system designed for an older one
is a recipe for disaster.

> I don't know how bad the situation is but I feel like I mentioned C++20
> and not C11? GCC is the backbone of GNU and C11 was implemented in it
> like 10 years ago IIRC. Compiling Emacs 29 (assuming it is C11, which I
> don't think it will or should) on a system system without C11 sounds,
> rather unusual?

10 years is awfully early, don't you think?  IIRC, Eli uses a computer
running Windows XP, which is 20 years old.

We supported K&R until (I think) 2007, when it became clear that Emacs
wasn't actually going to build with a K&R compiler or the machines that
still had K&R compilers.