Re: Removing the `window-id' frame parameter on non-Core Input platforms

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Removing the `window-id' frame parameter on non-Core Input platforms
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 09:29:49 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 13:29:48 +0800
>
> The only platform where it is useful is X with Core Input, where third
> party programs can use it to manipulate a frame's X Window.
>
> This is safe on Core Input, but on XInput 2 I'd like the freedom to
> change the underlying X window of a frame after it is created to work
> around some difficult GTK related problems, which will make continuing
> to support the `window-id' parameter unreasonable.  Touch event tracking
> on XInput2 also requires that no non-Emacs code modify a window created
> by Emacs to work correctly.

Please describe the problems you see in continuing the support for
window-id.  You say it's unreasonable, but please tell more to clarify
why it is so.

I don't necessarily object to the idea, but there could be in
principle other alternatives that are less backward-incompatible.  I'd
like us to weigh those before we make the decision.

Thanks.