Re: Bootstrap broken between 2893cb6a21af3384cf5d6dc2b6bbdd5ebba8e1ad an

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Bootstrap broken between 2893cb6a21af3384cf5d6dc2b6bbdd5ebba8e1ad and 469fe6a040d6df612c00ea169670c6d8d7e58563
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 08:29:10 +0100

> Rather than add a dependency which makes the Makefiles more complex,
> I've usually solves those problems by changing the `load/require` so as
> not to burp when the file is missing.  E.g. for `cl-loaddefs.el`:
>
>     (unless (load "cl-loaddefs" 'noerror 'quiet)
>       ;; When bootstrapping, cl-loaddefs hasn't been built yet!
>       (require 'cl-macs)
>       (require 'cl-seq))

I'm not very familiar with the rmail code base, but rmail.el starts with

(require 'rmail-loaddefs)

which pulls in all the autoloads...  but then the other rmail files
depend on rmail, so we seem to have circular dependencies that rmail
works around with the loaddefs file.

So it looks like doing this might require more surgery than that.