Re: Contradictiory directions

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Contradictiory directions
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 16:11:11 +0100

Le merkredo, 15-a de decembro 2021, 11-a horo kaj 14:41 CET Óscar Fuentes
a écrit :
> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>

> > It's still based on looking at the names of modules: proprietary
> > modules could easily be renamed so that their filenames are the same
> > as the free ones, and vice versa: it is not concrete at all.
>
> Propietary modules can define any symbol, so the
> "this_module_is_fine_with_gnus" or whatever trick is used on Emacs and
> gcc modules is even less of a solution. I can foresee a propietary
> module playing that trick, but changing the name of the module and
> creating a name collision with some of the most popular modules out
> there is a bit too risky even for the most adventurous propietary
> vendor.

except a symbol with written “gpl-compatible” on it might be legally akin
to “I accept my module can be relicensed to GPLv3”, which may be akin to a
license.  From there, we could feel allowed to distribute the library and
modified versions of it at will, so that would “suffice” to make it free-
software.

> > The PCRE and csvtable modules are also in the public domain.
> > Proprietary versions of them could be created ino the future.
>
> So you just decidead that all those versions that allow to distribute
> non-free versions of the code are incompatible with the GPL after all?
> <sigh>

No, but enough for them to *potentially become* so *without being noticed*
by emacs or even the users themselves…

…what if one day mac os x or ubuntu or windows starts bundling a version
of sqlite with special “improved” extensions that are made proprietary? we
don’t want that.  We want emacs to break in that case, and potentially the
users to do something to become themselves responsible of a such
combination of software.

> > BTW, the term "allowlist" is confusing.  It took me a while to guess
> > its meaning.  Why not use the industry-standard term "whitelist"
> > instead?
> Today you are in the mood of picking an argument, aren't you? ;-)

The more we feel in an adversarial mood, the more we should attempt to
adopt a kind and benevolent mindset.  That’s best for everybody, for
emacs, and even four each one’s own arguments.