Re: Suggestions for improvements to the *Completions* buffer

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Suggestions for improvements to the *Completions* buffer
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 19:13:42 +0000

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>>> I guess it's too late to allow all self-inserting keys in the *Completions*
>>> buffer to be used either to add characters to the search string,
>>> or to narrow completions interactively as if they were typed in the
>>> minibuffer,
>>> because "q", "n", "p", "z" are already bound to other commands?
>
> I'm not sure how useful "q" and "z" are.  I'd suggest just binding "C-g"
> to quit-window instead.

"q" via (quit-window) and "z" are already mapped, so I don't think it
makes sense to remove them.  My intention is just to provide a superset
of the current behaviour.

> I guess "n" and "p" has some use, but maybe that behavior could be
> optional.  IIRC, they were introduced in Emacs 28, so we could just
> revert that binding before the second pretest.

True, but "q" and "z" go back further, so enabling something like
narrowing would have to be disabled by default anyway.

--
        Philip Kaludercic