Re: Suggestions for improvements to the *Completions* buffer

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Suggestions for improvements to the *Completions* buffer
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 13:16:28 -0800

>> I guess it's too late to allow all self-inserting keys in the *Completions*
>> buffer to be used either to add characters to the search string,
>> or to narrow completions interactively as if they were typed in the
>> minibuffer,
>> because "q", "n", "p", "z" are already bound to other commands?

I'm not sure how useful "q" and "z" are.  I'd suggest just binding "C-g"
to quit-window instead.

I guess "n" and "p" has some use, but maybe that behavior could be
optional.  IIRC, they were introduced in Emacs 28, so we could just
revert that binding before the second pretest.

> True, so immediate narrowing (at least with the default bindings)
> couldn't be done, but that doesn't mean that narrowing couldn't be
> enabled by binding an activation command to conventional keys like "s"
> and "/".

Having an option would be a useful first step.