Default behavior of C-l causes flickering on TTY frames

From: Daniel Martín
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 14:39:37 +0100

When Emacs runs on a TTY console, the common operation of recentering
the window with C-l causes some unpleasant screen flickering most of the
time.  After some investigation, I see that this happens because the
default value of the variable 'recenter-redisplay' is 'tty', which means
that C-l clears and redisplays the screen.

Is there a reason Emacs still does that by default on TTY frames?  Is
the possibility of the screen becoming garbled so common these days (on
TTY frames) that we pay the price of a redisplay on each C-l?