Re: Against sqlite3!!!

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: Against sqlite3!!!
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 07:27:45 +0000

> Well, I think, wrt writes, it’s impossible to go faster than just writing
> plaintext.  But sqlite is here to make *reads* faster, not writes.  The
> only way I can see to make writes faster without any form of serialization
> is just garbage collecting related data together, and directly dumping
> memory onto disk, in a native but non-portable format, along with metadata
> about the native format, and specific implementations to decode it from
> other platforms for each memory format.  I’d love to see that.  But I
> think writing is not the bottleneck that we try to improve here.

I think write still *used to* be a bottleneck in the sense that without
incremental updates, every writes require dumping the whole store,
thus preventing Emacs from remembering things *early and eagerly*.

resist! solves exactly this. Any mutation to the kv-store is immediately
remembered by appending a log, and make-persistent-variable
remember all changes every persistent-variable-idle-time (1 second
seems reasonable).

> Well, I think, wrt writes, it’s impossible to go faster than just writing
> plaintext.  But sqlite is here to make *reads* faster, not writes.
Did you mean the initial loading up, or substantial reads?
For the substantial reads, sqlite3 is probably not much faster
than a single gethash.

resist! In its current form do require initially loading the whole store,
but I think it’s unclear whether it is a bottle neck. See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg00865.html