Re: Against sqlite3!!!

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Against sqlite3!!!
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 07:11:19 +0100

> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> Yes, and it's slow. The Gnus registry is saved/loaded this way, and this
>> has annoyed me for years.
>
> Yup.  The Gnus registry would be well suited to use sqlite directly,
> though -- it's basically hand-maintaining a (large) database, and sqlite
> is a good fit for that.
>
> That is, I don't think the new normal persistence method would be ideal
> for the registry.
>
> But, yes, the Gnus registry is a good demonstration of why serialising
> hash tables to disk is unworkable in practice.

Than implement a way for Emacs to dump lisp objects to files faster. It would be
very useful for Emacs in general.

You will still have to serialize your gnus db to sqlite db, and write it to disk
via sqlite, so disk access will still be there.

Have you trye to write it in chunks in idle timer or all in one go? Is that
possible?