Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 04:39:17 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> But how are those warnings different from what the user will get if he
> runs `package-install' on a package that causes warnings from the
> byte-compiler?

Depends on when these warnings appear.  When they appear as normal side
effect when installing something, they are not different.  When they
appear out of nothing, delayed, from a background process, they are
different because the user not necessarily knows that they are related
to the installation.

Most packages installed here were installed before turning native comp
on.  Maybe the experience is different when installing stuff after
switching, I haven't checked.  But lots of regular
(non-Emacs-developer) users will undergo the same switch some time in
the future, with already installed packages.

Michael.