Re: Possible XInput2 cursor bug ?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Possible XInput2 cursor bug ?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 09:27:34 +0800

Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:

> When reading gnus with a recent emacs
> configure -C --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-native-compilation
> --with-xinput2

> If I select a line on the summary buffer, to display the article buffer,
> the block cursor disappears and the cursor becomes hollow (as if it were
> a cursor in an inactive buffer). The focus is still in the summary
> buffer though.

> I think This sort of thing happens even outside gnus but perhaps someone
> with an xinput2 build and gnus can verify if this is happening, I
> rebuilt  --without-xinput2 and don't see the problem.

First the important question: what window manager are you using (is it
GNOME Shell), and are you using Xwayland?

Secondly, please put a breakpoint on this part of xterm.c:

            /* Some WMs (e.g. Mutter in Gnome Shell), don't unmap
               minimized/iconified windows; thus, for those WMs we won't get
               a MapNotify when unminimizing/deconifying.  Check here if we
               are deiconizing a window (Bug42655).

               But don't do that on GTK since it may cause a plain invisible
               frame get reported as iconified, compare

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-02/msg00133.html.
               That is fixed above but bites us here again.  */
            f = any;
            if (f && FRAME_ICONIFIED_P (f))
              {
                SET_FRAME_VISIBLE (f, 1);
                SET_FRAME_ICONIFIED (f, false);
->              f->output_data.x->has_been_visible = true;
                inev.ie.kind = DEICONIFY_EVENT;
                XSETFRAME (inev.ie.frame_or_window, f);
              }

And see if that part is called when you select such a line in the
summary buffer.

Thanks.