Re: sqlite3

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 21:40:52 +0100

> Well, Lars is the Gnus maintainer, not me, so all I can do is propose!
> But yes I am, though only for group marks. Right now .newsrc.eld
> combines concerns: it saves variables such as `gnus-server-alist' and
> all the topic stuff that would be better saved as customization options
> (or saved in a separate file, using the customization machinery). It
> also saves group parameters, right next to the marks.

It's a bit much, but I don't think those bits can be usefully separated
out.  But things like `gnus-save-duplicate-list' (which goes to a
separate, ad-hoc file) would fit well as a simple persistent variable.

> It seems likely that *requiring* sqlite support is a non-starter, so
> this would only be an option.

We don't really require much of anything, it's just that Emacs doesn't
work very well without some things.  Like gnutls.  This would be in the
same category, so I'd expect 99.7% of Emacsen would have support for it
toot sweet.

(Except for those that hate SQL sooooo much that they can't even stand
the thought of something in Emacs talking SQL even if they can't see
it.)