Re: sqlite3

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 17:56:29 +1100

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> That's not what I meant: AFAIU, dbm is installed on almost all Unix-like
>> systems, which is not the case with sqlite3.
>
> By "installed", do you mean "is in /usr/lib/*/libsqlite* already"?
> Since so many things depend on sqlite3, I'd be surprised.

While I cannot remember which package it was, one of the package.el
packages I was trying out recently had a dependency on sqlite3.
Initially, it failed on my system because it was not installed. This was
a recent Ubuntu system. Not a big deal as it was available and easy to
install, but assuming it would already be installed is perhaps assuming
too much.

> In any case, sqlite3 is available on all Unix-like systems I know of, so
> installing Emacs would install the library, so I'm not sure I understand
> the argument.

Yes, if the package maintainers specify it as a dependency it would be
installed. It would also be installed on systems which have a way to
install build dependencies - for example, on Debian systems, if you want
to build Emacs from source rather than use the *.deb package, you can
run 'apt install build-deps emacs' and all the build dependencies will be
installed for you. (though this may install dependencies you don't want
- for example, postfix and it might miss some, like the gcc library for
native comp which the current 27.2 does not need)>

As you say, sqlite3 is used by many things, so having it as a dependency
for Emacs is probably not a big deal.