Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 14:39:15 -0800

> If you just want to use a newish Emacs (as opposed to develop with it),
> you're pulling down the sources and building it casually.  (And probably
> updating once in a while.)
>
> If your system is slow, doing a native build can be punishing (and might
> well turn these people off Emacs altogether).

That sounds a bit odd to me.  Why would users with slow machines
constantly rebuild Emacs, to the point that they get turned off Emacs
altogether?  Wouldn't they just settle for running the latest stable
release long before that point?

My expectation would be that casual Emacs users install it with their
package manager, and those who prefer building it just use the latest
stable tarball.  (I was personally in the latter group for over a
decade, as Debian stable is constantly one release behind or so.)

Of course, many people do track master, but I would put them firmly in
the "enthusiast" camp.  Such users will surely understand that there is
a cost associated with running master, no?