Re: Old (static) builds of Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Old (static) builds of Emacs
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 08:15:47 -0500

Philip Kaludercic [2021-11-30 21:21:51] wrote:
> I have tried using GNU Guix to build old versions of Emacs, and it seems
> to work well up until 24.5.  It seems something was changed in glibc (?)
> that necessitated a change in Emacs, if I understand correctly.  Does
> anyone remember what happened here, so that I can patch these versions
> (or would it be easier to build an old version of Glibc)?

Might have been when they dropped some malloc hooks we were using, or
something like that.  IIRC this problem was "really fixed" with the
pdumper and before that we circumvented it by using the src/gmalloc.c
code during the dump (and switch to the native malloc afterwards).

So, you might want to try and tell Emacs to use src/gmalloc.c instead of
the system's malloc.

        Stefan