Re: Mouse wheel release events?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Mouse wheel release events?
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 15:06:04 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 08:50:01 +0800
>
> I don't know how to find the technical description of a mouse, but here
> is the XInput 2 documentation.  You should specifically look at the
> section titled "Pointer emulation from multitouch events":
>
>   https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/inputproto/XI2proto.txt
>
> While the documentation makes it seem specific to touchpads, at least 2
> kinds of mice, Apple's "Magic Mouse 2", and some Logitech mice with
> "hyperscrolling" also generate events in that specific way.

Regardless of which mice support these events, they (the events) are
touch events, not mouse events.  So I think we should name them as
such, because someone in the future might add support for the full
spectrum of touch events to Emacs.

So wheel-release doesn't strike me as a good name.  What kind of touch
event (or series of events) that emulates?