Re: Merging release branch

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Merging release branch
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 08:13:53 +0000

Btw, if this is what will make the situation better, we could merge ti master immediately after pushing to the release branch, by the same committer.

This could be automated with a server-side hook, whose execution would depend on some tag in the commit message which would indicate whether the commit should or should not be merged into the trunk.

The problematic part of merging is when there are conflict, and that cannot be done by the server. If there are no conflicts, using gitmerge.el is so simple it doesn't deserve any discussion.

It's simple, but IMO everything that can be automated should be automated. What I have in mind is this:

if push is not on <release branch> return
if tag is missing raise an error and return
if tag is "escape" do nothing (in case something must be done without running
that server-hook script) and return
if tag is "do not merge" do a git merge -s ours <release branch> and return
(this cannot fail)
if tag is "merge" try a git merge <release branch>; if that fails (which as you
said happens rarely), print a message to ask the committer to use gitmerge.el; return