Re: Entering emojis

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:27:49 +0300

> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:50:43 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, mattiase@acm.org, schwab@linux-m68k.org,
>     stefankangas@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>

> > Jokes aside, we already support Egyptian hieroglyphs, see HELLO.  But
> > there are no fonts out there yet which can display them well enough, so
> > for now this is a capability that waits for the typography world to
> > catch up.
> >

> I know next to nothing about hieroglyphs, but on Debian the
> fonts-noto-core contains the Noto Sans Egyptian Hieroglyphs font, which
> has a glyph for each egyptian hieroglyph.
>
> Debian also has a fonts-ancient-scripts package, which contains the
> Aegyptus font, which also has a glyph for each egyptian hieroglyph.  A
> more recent version of that font (but apparently with a more restrictive
> licence) can be seen here:
> https://dn-works.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/UFAS-Docs/Aegyptus.pdf and
> downloaded here:
> https://dn-works.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/UFAS-Fonts/Aegyptus.zip .

I know about these fonts.  I tried to explain in a followup message
that there's more about this script than just a glyph for each
codepoint: the layout of the glyphs in readable text is unusual, and
requires horizontal and vertical offsets under control of special
formatting characters specific to this script.  AFAIK, no existing
font that is distributed, let alone distributed freely, supports that
yet.