Re: Entering emojis

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 20:20:58 +0300

> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 15:14:57 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> Cc: Mattias EngdegÄrd <mattiase@acm.org>,
>  Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>, Stefan Kangas
> <stefankangas@gmail.com>,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> There's no need to add them, they are there already: C-x 8 RET hie TAB,
> and you'll get a list of the 1695 hieroglyphs defined by Unicode.  With an
> appropriate font, they'll be displayed correctly.

It's not enough to know their names and codepoints.  Egyptian
hieroglyphs have unique shaping requirements, which needed appropriate
character composition rules to be written.  We have those as well,
though.  It's the fonts to support this shaping that are missing.
Which is to say our composition rules were not really tested well, so
they could include bugs.