Re: Future of display engine and lines

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Future of display engine and lines
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:01:15 +0200

Le lundi 25 octobre 2021, 14:50:48 CEST Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
> > From: Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
> > Cc: rms@gnu.org, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:20:35 +0200
> >
> > In a way you may not be imagining: both column contents could be
> > unrelated
>
> If they are unrelated, you are talking about a different use case,
> where each column comes from a different buffer.

not necessarily, you could also be willing to read only a part of the
buffer, and calculated how the columns were so that to have each of them
have a different topic/semantic: the buffer is not the only semantic
division available (but I see that like Lars you like to see buffers used
in that way, like I initially thought… but aren’t buffers essentially meant
to be used to represent files? or anything uniquely serializable, for the
matter)